Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Case for Jon Gruden



We can call it a dream, and perhaps that is really what the Jon Gruden rumors truly are, but as fans we have the right to fully dive into this speculated story. Over the past three years we have dropped from a top ten team, to a bottom ten team. We need hope, as a program, in fact all we really have left is hope. Hope that Tom Jurich will do the right thing and end the Kragthorpe era; hope that our program can be led back to greatness under a new, top notch head coach. Since speculation began, I have been hoping that Jon Gruden made the list of potential coaches. Better yet, I hoped he would be number one on the list.

I must confess, I have been a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan since I watched them lose to the St. Louis Rams in the NFC Championship game; and I have followed their every move since that day. Seeing Gruden get hired and lead them to the Super Bowl was like watching a son succeed to me. I was along for the whole ride, and felt like a member of the team (as cliche as that is to say). At the end of last season when Gruden was fired, I felt betrayed in a way, but I felt excitement in another - What if UofL could do the unthinkable and lure Jon Gruden to the college game?

As soon as that thought entered my mind I have been compiling reasons to give myself hope.

  • He has ties to the UofL program - Jay Gruden could be the biggest asset we have in this situation. Jay QB'd for the Cards from 1985-1988. According to Wikipedia (which is always correct) -

Gruden was a four-year letterman at Louisville (1985-1988). He finished his collegiate career with 7,024 passing yards, completing 572 of 1049 passes for 44 touchdowns. All four stats still rank in the top five in Cardinals' history. As a senior, Gruden led the team to an 8-3 mark, their first winning season in 10 years.
"Gruden has never been a college head coach, and I am hopeful that this is appealing to him (I'll go into detail why I think it will be later), so having a connection to a university surely isn't hurting our odds."
  • National publicity - Let's face it, this was a rumor that we had all hoped had some proof behind it, but did we ever really think it was a possibility. Now, I don't know how you all feel, but once I hear it in the mainstream media, I am more inclined to believe it is a possibility. Last night, all of my hopes and dreams came true. Thanks to Michael Lombardi of the NFL Network -
"The University of Louisville has pegged Jon Gruden as its No. 1 candidate should the school decide to fire coach Steve Kragthorpe, sources told NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi."
Upon reading this, my first thought was that maybe some of the rumors have validity now. I am fully aware that this is lofty, and probably very far fetched, but I am going away from my usual pessimistic ways and staying hopeful.
  • NFL Coaching situation - The coaching situation in the NFL will be very competetive towards the end of the season and after the season ends. Let's look at who is available -
Mike Shanahan
Mike Holmgren
Bill Cowher

Gruden would arguably be the 4th best coach on the market, at the highest, this is all assuming some teams don't decide that an up and coming coordinator isn't a better fit. Let's go out on a limb and say maybe 5 NFL coaching positions open up this offseason, would Gruden want to have the last option out of those? I don't see it happening if there are quality college positions open. UofL could potentially offer a competetive salary, and give him an opt out in a few years if he would want to pursue a position in the NFL again.
  • His interest in college gameplanning - After he was fired he looked into the spread offense, and actually set up shop in an office and studied Florida gametape. He has a man-crush on Tim Tebow, and showed interest in a potential college coaching career. See this article -

"The man has a new mission (and it's not to lower his golf handicap).


"I want to learn the spread offense," Gruden said. "This is exciting for me."

Whether that means Gruden's next job — and he'll definitely have one — will be in college or the NFL is anyone's guess. And don't make the assumption that a crash course in the sexy spread means Gruden has his sights set on coaching Saturdays."

All of this being said, I would be lying if I said it wasn't a dream to see Gruden in UofL gear walking the sidelines next season; I'm just having hope, and so should you.



No comments:

Post a Comment